> IZLuC 2020 - Virtual > Social Media Accessibility Best Practices
- Guidelines for Creating Image Descriptions via American Anthropological Association
- Includes an explanation of the difference between alt text, image descriptions, and captions
- Use Instagram Threads to create automatic captioning for your videos that you can then download to your device (can also upload existing videos);
- IGTV videos also have an automatic captioning feature
- YouTube can provide automatic captioning for new or existing videos
Consent to Post
- Do I have permission from the creator to feature their work in a social media post and/or tag them?
- Does the order of content in an Instagram Stories post, multi-photo post, and/or Twitter thread make sense?
- Did I capitalize the first letter of each new word when using hashtags?Â Often referred to as â€œCamel Case.â€
- Can I use a link shortener when posting long links?
- Can I indicate what kind of link it is/where it will be taking users? Ex. www.content.com/388 [form]
- Did I use acronyms or other terms that may need to be explained?
Alt Text and Image Descriptions
- Have I written alt text for all images for users using screen readers?
- Have I written and included an image description for each image?
Video captions and Audio Transcripts
- Can I include captions in the video?
- If not, can I include a transcript of the video or make it available via another publicly available file/link?